MTU GENERATOR SETS ARE AVAILABLE WITH MAINLINE CIRCUIT BREAKERS FOR SHORT CIRCUIT AND OVERCURRENT PROTECTION OF EQUIPMENT AND PERSONNEL.
Circuit breakers are 80% or 100% rated circuits that come manually or electrically operated. The molded case circuit breakers we offer are designed to comply with UL 489 and IEC standards.
UL2200 listed generator sets include factory-installed circuit breakers and comply with most local and international codes:
- The standard circuit breaker for a generator set is an 80% rated, thermal magnetic breaker.
- Electronic trip and thermal-magnetic 100% rated circuit breakers are also available.
- A range of options and accessories are available including terminal and lug options, phase barriers and lug shields, shunt trips, under-voltage release, auxiliary and alarm switches, electrical operators, enclosures, and handle mechanisms.
- The term “80% rated breaker” does not exist in any Code or Standard. Breakers are usually sized between 100% to 125% of the generator’s rated amps and the 80% rating is simply downsizing the breaker to comply with the 125% oversizing requirement for Continuous Loads in the National Electrical Code (NEC).
- When an output circuit breaker is not factory-provided, an approved overcurrent protection device rated equal to or greater than the generator voltage with a current rating of no more than 125% of the output current of the unit should be located within 7.6 m (25 ft) of the generator output terminals.